I felt that the reading experience was
different over different versions. Specifically, the online versions felt
somehow less authentic than the printed versions. The manuscript versions,
however, also felt incorrect because they seemed unofficial, lacking the
authority of a printed text. The printed editions and manuscripts also gave a
sense of context – sometimes only that there was a context of other pieces in which
this poem was situated rather than specifically showing that context. The
online version from the Poetry Foundation offered a great deal of
context-creating potential, but I still felt there that the poem was isolated.
The Wordsworth Trust situated the context before the text of the poem, and I
found myself reading it as I scrolled down to the poem’s text. The online
versions seemed to be pushing towards a specific reading f the poem, especially
with the Poetry Foundation’s audio clip of the poem. I also noticed the gradual
revelation of the structure of the poem visually online. The break in the poem
to a new column of text separated the content in a different way in different
editions. Online, the entire poem was not immediately visible whereas in print
it generally was. One print edition did split the poem between pages, which
seemed disruptive but also enabled the poem to be placed in very close
proximity physically to the pieces surrounding it. All of these aspects came
together for me to indicate different foci for the reader, although whether
these would be deliberately chosen on the part of the reader or an unsought
result of the editor/publisher’s choices would likely vary.
No comments:
Post a Comment