Thursday, November 17, 2016

Digital Humanities Project





Using the above image as inspiration, I propose the following digital humanities project focusing on a medieval medical text such as the Cotton Vitellius C iii manuscript Pseudo-Apuleius, Herbarium, which is part of the British Library collection, perhaps also drawing upon other versions that are housed in other libraries around the world.  My project would be educational in nature and not a data project.   

Taking further inspiration from the following film on medieval architecture https://oxfordfriars.wordpress.ncsu.edu/the-film/ , I would like to provide a short film, up to 15 minutes long detailing key features and background into the manuscript.  Information such as how it was produced, compilations of specific texts, the history of the book through the ages, the annotations, botanical features, natural history, and medicinal recipes.  Finally, I would link this to modern day medicine based upon current interdisciplinary research (ex. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/ahri/eventrecords/2015-2016/festival/weds21/medicine.aspx, listen to cloud SoundCloud lecture).

This project would be static and provide a moment in time.  Collaboration would include scholars knowledgeable in the medieval manuscripts, history, and medicine both then and now. I would also need some assistance with pulling together a professional video, including a narrator and some music. I might use a digital humanities platform like https://www.zooniverse.org/ or something associated with UNT.  The cost of the project would be finite with the exception of annual hosting costs and I would apply for a grant to fund it.  If I used UNT to host the project, I would project a scholarly image and continued maintenance costs could be built in as required.

Bibliography

 
- Diane Culpin, 17 November 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment